Croquet has been played in Cheltenham from the 1860s . J H Hale who lived at Lansdown Villas was major figure in developing the game , as was Walter Jones Whitmore of Chastleton ( near Stow on the Wold).
The Reverend Law , Curate of St Philip and St. James , Leckhampton played in the first “Open” as did Arthur Lillee also of Cheltenham.
There was a tournament in Cheltenham in 1869 , and the first reference to a Club is in 1870.
The current club was founded in 1909 and has been on its current site since 1920.
We are particularly proud of "Honours Boards" some of which date back to the early days of the Club.
( The History of Cheltenham Croquet Club was researched ,and published in 2004 , by David Magee)